The remains of 13 American soldiers killed in the Kabul airport attack last week are being transported back to the United States from Afghanistan.
President Joe Biden met with the families of 13 American soldiers who were killed in a war. Kabul airport attack Last week, with the remains of the dead soldiers transported back to the United States from Afghanistan.
Biden and First Lady Jill Biden participated in the “dignified transfer” of soldiers killed at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Sunday, a military ceremony to receive the remains of those killed in foreign combat.
The President and his wife watched the flag-filled boxes containing the remains of 11 soldiers being loaded onto the truck. Weeping can be heard, and a woman fell down and was taken to an ambulance.
In an incident not reported by the media, the remains of two other American soldiers will be transferred at the request of his family.
Al Jazeera’s Rob Reynolds reported in Washington, DC that the age of American soldiers ranged from 20 to 31 years old—meaning some were born shortly before the United States began military missions in Afghanistan in 2001.
At the time of their death, these 13 young soldiers were on the ground waiting for the United States to withdraw from its longest war, helping to evacuate the Americans and Afghans who had helped the United States perform missions in Afghanistan, and now they fled after the Taliban took over the country.
Biden said in a statement: “The 13 soldiers we lost were heroes. They made the ultimate sacrifice for our highest American ideals and saving the lives of others.” statement Saturday.
At least 175 people, including dozens of Afghan civilians and American soldiers, were killed in the bombing at Kabul Airport on Thursday. The Islamic State in Khorasan Province claimed that ISKP (ISIS-K) was owned by the Islamic State (ISIS). Subsidiary Body.
Biden warned on Saturday that his commander told him that as U.S. military personnel work to complete Washington’s withdrawal from Afghanistan by the August 31 deadline, “it is highly likely that it will happen again in the next 24 to 36 hours. Launch an attack”.
Al Jazeera’s Reynolds reported that in the 24 hours as of Sunday morning, about 2,900 people were evacuated by US and other coalition aircraft, bringing the total number of airlifts from Afghanistan to about 114,000 in the past two weeks.
At the same time, U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Brinken stated that there are still about 300 U.S. citizens still in Afghanistan expressing their desire to leave the country.
“We are very active in helping them get to the airport, board the plane and leave Afghanistan,” Brinken said in an interview with ABC’s program this week.
But the situation in the Afghan capital remains unstable.
“In the past few days, this was the most dangerous moment of an already very dangerous mission,” Brinken said on Sunday. “Therefore, we will do everything possible to ensure people’s safety, but the risk is very high.”
Biden’s national security adviser Jack Sullivan agreed, describing the current situation in Afghanistan as “serious danger” on Sunday.
“We are taking all possible measures under the President’s instructions to ensure that our troops are protected locally, even if they have completed the task of including the remaining American citizens and Afghan allies,” Sullivan told CNN’s State of the Union address.
U.S. Central Command confirmed that the U.S. Army Carried out a drone attack In a car in Kabul on Sunday to eliminate the so-called “Islamic State-K’s imminent threat to Hamad Karzai International Airport.”
“We are confident that we will succeed in achieving our goal. US Central Command spokesperson Bill Urban said in a statement that a major secondary explosion in the vehicle indicated the presence of a large number of explosives.