Former Haitian Justice Department official Joseph Felix Badio could have ordered Assassinate The Colombian police chief, General Jorge Vargas, said on Friday that the statement of Haitian President Jovenel Moise (Jovenel Moise).
On July 7, an assassin armed with an assault rifle attacked Moise’s private residence on the hill above Port-au-Prince and was shot dead.
Vargas said in an audio message sent by the police to the news media that the Haitian and Colombian authorities, together with Interpol, investigated the murder of Mois and found that Badio appeared to have ordered the assassination three days before the attack.
Badio could not be reached immediately for comment. His whereabouts are unknown.
According to Vargas, the investigation found that Badio had ordered former Colombian soldier Dubni Cappado and German Rivera, who had originally signed a contract to perform security services, to kill Mois.
“A few days ago, apparently three days ago, Joseph Felix Badio, a former official of the (Haiti) Ministry of Justice, told Cappadore and Rivera that they must assassinate the president. The anti-corruption division of the General Intelligence Agency works. Haiti,” Vargas said.
Vargas did not provide evidence or provide more details about the source of the information.
A few hours after Moise was killed, Cappado was killed in a gun battle with the Haitian police. Rivera is still being held in Haiti, and the police are still looking for Badio. He worked in the Haitian Ministry of Justice and the government’s anti-corruption department until he was fired in May.
More than 20 suspects who were directly involved in the killing have been arrested, most of them Former Colombian soldier. At least the other three The suspect was killed, The police say they Still looking There are at least seven other people.
The Colombian government stated that only a small group of Colombian soldiers knew the true nature of the operation, and everyone else was deceived.
Also on Friday, Police Chief Leon Charles said that when the president’s residence was attacked, 24 police officers were on guard.He said they have been interrogated, the fifth senior Police officer They were detained in solitary confinement with the other four, but no one was listed as a suspect.
Interim Prime Minister Claude Joseph stated that the government will continue to bring the perpetrators to justice.
“We will continue to ask questions,” he said.
Vargas said on Friday that at least most of the tickets for former soldiers to Haiti were purchased through Worldwide Capital Lending Group, a Florida-based company.
Officials said earlier that they were acquired by another Florida company, CTU Security, which allegedly recruited these people.
Worldwide issued a statement on Thursday that it helped provide a loan to CTU, but said it was designed to help fund the infrastructure project sought by the Haitian doctor and pastor Christian Emmanuel Sanon, who was arrested for the conspiracy.
“In meetings or conversations with Dr. Sanon or any of his representatives, there has never been any mention, discussion or suggestion of assassination of President Moise or the use of force to change the intentions of the Haitian leadership,” the company said.
At the same time, former President Jean-Bertrand Aristide returned to Haiti on Friday after spending nearly a month in Cuba, exciting the hundreds of supporters gathered at the airport.
Aristide, a charming but divisive figure in Haiti, is receiving unspecified medical treatment in Cuba.
The return of Aristide has added a potentially destabilizing factor to the already tense situation in a country facing a power vacuum. Aristide has long been one of the most polarized politicians in Haiti and is still welcomed by many people.
He was elected president in 1990, was forced to step down in a military coup a year later, and was returned to power by the US military in 1994 to complete his remaining term. As a supporter of the poor and an advocate of “liberation theology” on the left, he is deeply hated by the elite.