Israel has ordered an investigation into its officials who attacked the bier at Shireen Abu Akleh’s funeral in occupied East Jerusalem, as the Palestinian Authority president said he would not accept Israel’s involvement in the investigation into the killing of a senior Al Jazeera journalist.

Television footage showed coffins trying to prevent Abu Akler’s coffin from falling to the ground as Israeli police bat-wielded batons at mourners. Israeli troops seized the Palestinian flag from mourners before smashing the windows of the hearse carrying the body of Abu Akler and removing a Palestinian flag.

“The Israeli police chief, in coordination with the public security minister, has directed an investigation into the incident,” police said in a statement Saturday.

They coordinated funeral arrangements with the journalist’s family, but “thugs tried to disrupt the ceremony and injure police,” it said. The findings will be released in the next few days.

The shocking scene at the funeral, and the death of the 51-year-old Palestinian-American journalist, has drawn worldwide condemnation and calls for an investigation, including by the United Nations.

a feeling of sadness and anger

The attack on the funeral added to the grief and outrage following the death of Abu Akleh, a veteran journalist and a household name across the Arab world.

The White House was silent in its response because it did not condemn Israel’s actions. Earlier, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said the United States was “deeply disturbed by the sight of images of Israeli police breaking into her funeral procession”.

The EU condemned the “excessive use of force” by Israeli police.

The UN Security Council issued a rare unanimous statement condemning the killing and calling for an “immediate, thorough, transparent and impartial investigation,” diplomats said.

Al Jazeera has said that Abu Ackley was “assassinated in cold blood”. She has been wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest marked “News” when she reported on Israel’s military operations in Jenin.

The United States, the European Union and the United Nations have backed calls for a full investigation into her killing.

Israel initially said Palestinian fire might be to blame, but officials later said they could not rule out Israeli gunfire killing her. Israel is investigating the possibility that a soldier shot and killed her during a raid on the occupied West Bank city of Jenin, reports say.

Israel has publicly called for a joint investigation, but the Palestinian Authority has refused to describe Abu Akl’s killing as an “assassination by Israeli forces”.

Palestinian Authority official Hussein Sheikh said Saturday that authorities would welcome “all international agencies involved in the investigation.”

Late Friday, Palestinian prosecutors said preliminary findings showed that Abu Akl was killed by Israeli forces deliberately firing. Prosecutors said the investigation will continue.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas assured the Al Jazeera delegation on Saturday: “We will continue the investigation and will never allow Israel to be a partner in this investigation because they are the killers and they are the ones who killed her. “

Palestinians commemorate the Nakba or “disaster” to commemorate the ethnic cleansing of more than 700,000 Palestinians from their homes in 1948, which coincided with the establishment of Israel and tensions remain high.

Fresh violence erupted in the West Bank on Friday, including raids and clashes around the Jenin refugee camp.

Tensions have escalated in recent months as Israel grapples with a wave of attacks that have killed at least 18 people since March 22.

According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, more than 20 Palestinians have been killed since the end of March.