This delicious Salmon Tikka Masala is an Indian-inspired dish simmered in a creamy tomato sauce, coconut milk, and spices, and goes perfectly with naan, grilled meat, or rice.
Salmon Tikka Masala
This delicious dish can also be made with chicken, fish or tofu, as the sauce is delicious and is the star of the dish. I have cooked similar dishes, Instant Pot Chicken Tikama Salad with Cauliflower and Peas inside pressure cooker But I love this pan version of the salmon, the sauce gets thicker on the stove. salmon is my favorite fish and I try to incorporate it into my diet a few days a week.Here are more of my favorite Indian recipes including Salmon Coconut Curry, Instant Pot Indian Chicken Praoand Indian Shrimp Curry.
You may be more familiar with chicken tikka masala, one of the most popular Indian dishes in the United States that originated in the United Kingdom. Well I tried it with salmon and it was great! I replaced the heavy cream with a little canned coconut milk to make the sauce creamy and dairy free.
What does salmon tikka masala consist of?
While the ingredient list may seem long, it’s mostly spices that I always have on hand when I’m craving Indian food.
- salmon: Skinless salmon fillets, cut into quarters. If you don’t have fresh, you can use frozen wild fish.
- spices: freshly grated ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, chilli, cardamom, salt
- Aromatics: Garlic and onions are sauteed in butter or ghee with spices.
- Sauce: canned baby tomatoes (you can also use regular-sized diced tomatoes) and full-fat canned coconut milk
- Herbs: Garnish with fresh cilantro.
How to Make Salmon Tikka Masala
Salmon tikka masala is easier to make than you might think. While the sauce and salmon are simmering, most of the cooking time is hands-off.
- salmon: Season salmon with salt and turmeric.
- saute: Melt ghee or coconut oil in a pan and add onion, garlic, ginger and all tikka masala spices. Cook for about 5 minutes until fragrant.
- mix: Transfer the mixture to the blender with the tomatoes and blend until smooth. Return to pan and season with salt.
- simmer: Simmer tomato mixture for 15 to 20 minutes. Add coconut milk, add salmon and mix well. Bring to a simmer and cook for a few minutes until salmon is fully cooked.
More salmon recipes you’ll love:
Salmon Tikka Masala
Salmon Tikka Masala is a delicious Indian-inspired dish made with coconut milk and spices in a creamy tomato sauce that goes perfectly with naan, grilled meat or rice.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 lb skinless salmon fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 spoon butter , or coconut oil to make it DF, W30
- 1/2 small onion, Chopped
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric, divided into
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon minced coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 4 spoon Full-fat canned coconut milk*, Shake well
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, service for something
Season salmon with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric.
Melt butter over medium heat, add onion, garlic, ginger and 6 spices (from turmeric to cardamom) and saute until vegetables are soft and spices are fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Transfer to blender with tomatoes, blend until smooth, pour into skillet, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until flavors are incorporated.
Stir in coconut milk, add salmon and toss to combine.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until salmon is cooked through.
Garnish with cilantro.
*Check labels for Whole30 compliance
Serve: 1Salmon fillets, 1/2 cup sauce, Calories: 283kcal, carbohydrate: 8.5G, protein: 30G, fat: 14G, Saturated fat: 5G, cholesterol: 82mg, sodium: 500.5mg, fiber: 1.5G, sugar: 3.5G
Key words: Indian salmon, salmon tikka masala, tikka masala