Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez is eager for a rematch with WBA light heavyweight champion Dimitry Bivol after a crushing first bout Saturday night in Las Vegas.
Bivor won by a unanimous decision — all three judges won 115-113 — Canelo’s second career loss since his first loss to Flo Jr. Eid Mayweather has been nine years.
Canelo stressed after the game that he wanted another shot at Bivor and that there was a rematch clause in the contract. “Of course I know. It’s not going to end like this,” he said, before repeating the message on Twitter.
Translated from Spanish, Canelo’s post read: “That’s what boxing is. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but always with your head held high.
“I stand by the great fight we have for the people. We will fight again and we will win again.”
Bivor is also eager to face Canelo again. ‘Rematch? no problem. Let’s talk about the rematch,” he said.
“I’m in this match because I just want this opportunity and I’m grateful for this opportunity. I’m ready for the rematch, I just want to make sure I win and now I’m being treated like a champion.”
With both fighters keen, Bivol promoter Andrei Ryabinski told Sky Sports: “I would say the preparation process will take at least four to five months.
“And the location of the fight is yet to be determined, but it will likely be in the United States.”
Alvarez, who is back at the heaviest of his career to fight for the 175-pound title, disagreed with the judges and said he thought he would lose four or five rounds at most.
“I definitely didn’t lose this fight,” Alvarez said through an interpreter. “I think I was a little tired in the last few rounds, but I feel good.”
With Saturday’s win, Bivor’s record improved from 20 to a perfect 20, while Canelo’s record slipped to 57-2-2.
Canelo has previously won at light heavyweight, winning the WBO title in 2019 with a knockout win over Sergey Kovalev, but Bivol proved the Mexican fighters couldn’t overcome in their first encounter.