The U.S. envoy stated that in the ongoing efforts to end the war, it supports the goal of preventing a “very real threat of famine” in Yemen.

The United States will provide Yemen with US$165 million in additional humanitarian assistance. The US envoy to this war-torn country announced that concerns about humanitarian losses caused by the conflict are growing.

“We are supporting efforts to prevent famine, which has once again become a very real threat,” Tim Landkin told reporters at a briefing on Monday.

“I hope today’s announcement will produce further announcements.”

Earlier this year, UN officials warned of the risks facing Yemen The worst famine in the world If donors do not provide US$4 billion in aid in 2022, then a few decades later.

U.S. assistance will be provided through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), which resumed the Houthi-controlled project in northern Yemen in March after being suspended for nearly a year due to allegations of obstruction by rebel groups.

In February, US President Joe Biden Announced the end The country supported the Saudi-led offensive in Yemen and appointed Lenderking as a special envoy to help end the war.

The American envoy travels in the region almost every month and works with his UN counterparts to promote a political settlement of the conflict.

The US State Department said in a statement: “It is time to stop fighting and enable Yemenis to shape a more peaceful and prosperous future for their country.” statement Announced that Lenderking visited Saudi Arabia last month.

The war in Yemen intensified in 2015, when Saudi Arabia and its regional allies launched military operations against the Houthis. The Houthis occupied the capital Sana’a and expelled the Yemeni President Abdullab Mansour backed by Riyadh. Hardy government.

According to reports, the violence triggered a huge humanitarian crisis that has caused at least 233,000 deaths. United Nations estimates, And put millions on the brink of starvation.

Washington has repeatedly called for the relaxation of Saudi-led restrictions on imports and travel to Yemen, while condemning the Houthi’s attacks on the Gulf Kingdom and the ongoing activities of the insurgents. Attack on the strategic city of Malibu.

Major U.S. lawmakers in early May urge The Biden administration will take more action to help raise 2.5 billion US dollars to aid Yemenis, which they describe as “the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.”

In March, Saudi Arabia proposed National ceasefire In Yemen, the Houthis rejected the proposal and instead called for a complete end to the Saudi-led blockade of the country’s ports and Sana’a Airport.

Saudi Arabia stated that the Houthis are agents of its regional rival Iran. But the rebels denied obtaining material support from Tehran.

Earlier this month, Swedish diplomats Hans Grundberg replaces Martin Griffith The United Kingdom serves as the United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen. Griffith was appointed as the director of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.





Source link