If you’re on Spotify, chances are you’ve put together a playlist of all your favorite songs — and rearranged them in a specific order. But did you know you can do something similar on Instagram?
Enter Instagram Guide – a tool that allows you to manage your favorite Instagram posts, reels or lives in one place that you can share with your community. For marketers, it’s a great way to revive old content, promote products, and introduce brands.
Let’s take a closer look at Instagram guides, how to leverage them in your marketing strategy, and how to do it in six steps.
What are Instagram Guidelines?
Simply put, an Instagram guide is a collection of Posts, Reels or Lives – from your own feed or others.
All guides revolve around a theme, story or idea. For example, you can create gift guides, product roundups, or exercise routines—but more on that later.
Once the guide is created, it will be located in your profile under the public tab, which users can access at any time. You can also share it to your Instagram Story for more visibility.
There are three types of guides on Instagram – places, products and posts.
- place For sharing travel-related or location-specific content. For example, you can share your road trip itinerary or your favorite coffee shop in X location.
example: Best place to Instagram in Phoenix.
- product Used to showcase products from your Instagram store. You can create anything from product tutorials to listings of your favorite products or brands.
example: My 8 Must-Have Products for Sensitive Skin.
- post For articles, comments, or any interesting content you share or save from others. This genre focuses less on visuals and more on your storytelling abilities.
example: How to Build a Healthy Morning Routine.
With an in-depth look at guidelines, let’s discuss the benefits of using guidelines in Instagram marketing.
Instagram Marketing Guidelines
Instagram offers a myriad of features for marketers — but what makes a guide stand out from the crowd?
Check out our guide to the biggest benefits of using Instagram in marketing:
1. Restore your old content
Content life cycle on Instagram is short. After hitting the “publish” button — and seeing the likes pour in within a day or two — your content will appear on your feed, collecting dust.
With the help of guides, you can highlight your past. When users click on a single post in your guide, it directs them to the original post – giving it new life.
2. Drive traffic to your blog or website.
Guides are a great way to share your tips, tricks, advice, and advice on a specific topic – but you shouldn’t reveal everything.
Instead, use this guide to summarize a point or two from your blog post – then encourage users to visit your blog for more details (or more tips). This way, you can drive traffic to other channels.
3. Introduce your brand.
An Instagram guide is a great way to introduce your brand and its values to new and existing customers. Use them to highlight social responsibility work, new milestones, behind-the-scenes content or new initiatives.
For example, fashion marketplace Vestiaire Collective highlighted its brand values by publishing a guide on creating a more sustainable wardrobe and the power of upcycling.
4. Leverage User Generated Content.
With the help of guides, you can combine other users’ content with your own – this opens up the opportunity to leverage user-generated content.
For example, let’s say you run a sunglasses brand. You can create a guide titled “The Most Popular Sunglasses of 2022” with photos of customers wearing your product. What better way to leverage UGC, promote your product and attract new customers at the same time.
5. Promote your product – don’t push too hard.
If you’re having trouble advertising your products, as opposed to infomercials, Instagram Guidelines are a great way to achieve that balance.
Going back to the sunglasses example above – if you’re creating a guide for your new collection, you can add value to your readers by including advice, tips, or tricks in the guide. Then, name your guide in a way that puts value front and center, such as “How to Style Oversized Sunglasses.”
This is a clever way to promote your product without becoming the center of attention.
How to Make a Guide on Instagram
Creating a guide is relatively easy, but you’ll need the latest version of Instagram to get started. It’s also a good idea to brainstorm what type of guide you want to create – and jot down what you want to include. Then, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to your Instagram profile and click the plus (+) button. This will open a menu with options for what you can post on Instagram. Click on “Guide”.
2. Next, click on the type of Instagram guide you want to create. You can choose from places, products or posts.
3. Choose what to add to the guide. This can be something you share or save from other people.
4. From here, you’ll need to write some details about your guide—namely, the title and abstract. If you want to change the photo provided by Instagram, you will also need to upload a cover photo.
5. Add a title and description, comment or idea to each post as you scroll through the guide.
6. Once you’re satisfied with the guide, click Share.
The Instagram guidelines are all about repurposing content. So check out your feed and find new stories you can tell. Use the tips in this article to make your guide an effective top funnel marketing strategy to attract users, promote your products, and introduce your brand.